Sunday, February 8, 2009

Valentine’s Day Lollipops

Lollipops
Contributed by Jamie


I decide to make these for my husband’s employees. I remember my mom making lollipops when I was young. There is just something so nostalgic about homemade candy.

Ingredients
2 cups granulated sugar
2/3 cups light corn syrup
¾ Cup water
1 teaspoon flavoring (I used LorAnn)
½ Teaspoon Liquid food coloring
* You will also need a candy thermometer and molds.

In a large saucepan, combine sugar, corn syrup, and water. Stir over medium heat until sugar dissolves. Bring mixture to a boil without stirring.



Lightly spray molds with cooking spray


When mixture reaches 260 degrees Fahrenheit add color. Do not stir; boiling will incorporate color into syrup mixture. Remove from heat at 300 degrees Fahrenheit. Once mixture stops boiling add flavoring. (A word of caution when the flavoring is added it will create steam, stand to the side and stir, try not to breath in steam. I used cinnamon flavoring and let me tell you this burned worse than any onion I have ever cut up). I carefully poured the syrup mixture into a glass batter bowl. This makes it easy to pour into the molds. It also allows you to be able to slightly reheat the mixture in the microwave if it cools. Immediately pour syrup into the molds.


Once candy in cool, (to speed up this step I placed the molds in the refrigerator) carefully remove from molds and enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. So cool Jamie, You did a great job, I hope you are going to share with others, not just Kevin's co-workers (smile) I know Brandon, Montana and of course my self would like to try these candy masterpiece's.....
    Love Ya!
    Mom (Vicki DuBose)

    ReplyDelete
  2. They turned out so cute! Great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jamie...you rock!! That was a great post with the pictures!! I will have to make these next year for school parties...Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those look great! It almost makes me want to work for Kevin. :) Good job!

    ReplyDelete